Saturday, June 1, 2013

She's Got You


We graduated on May 25th, 1973. I think there were 98 graduating from Lake Roosevelt in Coulee Dam. I actually got to walk down the Isle with Jan for that event and again on April 13th, 1974 for an even bigger event. On August 9-11th we hope to attend our 40 year class reunion in Coulee Dam. There are a couple of people I have lost track of; and we have lost too many. My best friend in High School, John Smith, will not be there. John Manley, who I worked with at M and M Trailers; or Randy Webly who was a police officer in East Wenatchee will not be there either. Ray Halsey, a great teacher and one of longest serving mayors in Washington will not be there. Our pastors then in Electric City, Carl and Vida Smith, are living in Moses Lake and are doing great, married over 60 years now. I think we were the 2nd class to graduate as Lake Roosevelt and I understand next year that building will be torn down for a new school? We moved to Coulee Dam for my final 2 years- when we moved from Fife for my dad to work on Dam. I kinda lost track of my Sawyer North Dakota class that I moved from after 5th Grade, as with the Lincoln High class that I left after 7th Grade in Tacoma. We continued to live in the Grand Coulee area until 1977.

"She's Got You" is a famous pop song written by Hank Cochran and was first recorded and released as a single by Patsy Cline in 1962. Musically the song is an upbeat jazz-pop song with country overtones to support it. This video lip sinc is from a high school reunion and made me laugh!

Have you ever been guilty of looking at others your own age and thinking, 'Surely I can't look that old?' Well, you'll love this one.
While sitting in the waiting room for my first appointment with a new dentist. I noticed his DDS diploma, which bore his full name.
Suddenly, I remembered a tall, handsome, dark-haired boy with the same name had been in my high school class almost 30 years ago. Could he be the same guy that I had a secret crush on, way back then?
Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This balding, gray-haired man with the deeply lined face was way too old to have been my classmate.
After he examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended St. Peter's High School.
"Yes. Yes, I did. I'm a Spartan," he gleamed with pride.
"When did you graduate?" I asked.
He answered, "In 1979. Why do you ask?"
"You were in my class!" I exclaimed.
He looked at me closely. Then, that ugly, old, bald, wrinkled, fat, gray-haired, decrepit son-of-a-gun asked, "What did you teach?"
My wife and I were sitting at a table at my 30th high school reunion, and I kept staring at a drunken lady swigging her drink as she sat alone at a nearby table.  My wife asked, "Do you know her?".  "Yes," I sighed.  "She's my old girlfriend.  I understand she took to drinking right after we split up those many years ago and I hear she hasn't been sober since."  "Oh my goodness!" said my wife.  "Who'd think a person could go on celebrating that long?"...see, there really are two ways to look at everything!


HOW TO STAY YOUNG...

1. Throw out nonessential numbers.
This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctors worry about them.
That is why you pay them.
2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.
3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever.
Never let the brain idle. " An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.
4. Enjoy the simple things.
5. Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath.
6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on.
The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves.
Be ALIVE while you are alive.
7. Surround yourself with what you love,
Whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever.
Your home is your refuge.
8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it.
If it is unstable, improve it.
If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
9. Don't take guilt trips.
Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county; to a foreign country
but NOT to where the guilt is.
10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.




No comments:

Post a Comment