Sunday, February 2, 2014

Squares Make The World Go Around

25 years ago this month I heard they were looking for applicants to fill an empty city council position when John Pflugrath resigned.  Only two put in for it, and after doing a background check on me, I was appointed  by Mayor Dick McGraw on March 6th, 1989. The city population was about 1200 in 1989. We met at the city hall located then, where the Cedars Inn now sits. I served under 3 different mayors, three different dates we would meet, and sadly, have lost three councilmembers,  who I worked with and who I still miss greatly. I forgot how many reporters I have worked with- one actually did an article on my humor books that I did as a hobby. It was a great honor and privilege working for East Wenatchee voters. It was two years ago last December that I attended my last council meeting after not running for election, ending those 22 1/2 years.
Back when we had only 5 councilmembers and in our old city hall
(I am the first on the right) We gave that stage set to Bridgeport City Hall after our new city hall was done. Not sure if they still use it?
Taken in my last term by a citizen in council chamber of our new city hall. I am the third one from left, right next to mayor.


A guy is driving around the back woods of Montana and he sees a sign in front of a broken down shanty-style house:   'Talking Dog For Sale'.
 He rings the bell and the owner appears and tells him the dog is in the backyard.
The guy goes into the backyard and sees a nice looking Labrador retriever sitting there.You talk?' he asks.
'Yep,' the Lab replies.
After the guy recovers from the shock of hearing a dog talk, he says 'So, what's your story?'
The Lab looks up and says, 'Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the CIA. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping. I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running. But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a batch of medals.  I got married ,had a mess of puppies, and now I'm just retired.' 
The guy is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what he wants for the dog.
'Ten dollars,' the guy says.
'Ten dollars? This dog is amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheap?' 

'Because he's a liar. He never did any of that stuff!' 

No comments:

Post a Comment