Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Why Smart People Do Dumb Things

I miss the AWC conferences I could attend when on city council, as they had some great classes, exhibit booths, and I could meet with so many good elected people from around the state.  I remember one keynote speaker, Patrick Kuhse speaking on "Why smart people do such dumb things". I had to share part of it with you after I found it posted on youtube. He is not a pastor and he does not quote the Bible,  but it could be summed up in one three letter word; Sin. I have found the little sins tempt more than the big sins and are more dangerous. I realize you may know all of this, but I also know I need reminded occassionally and to be on guard. I think much of what he talks about is found in the Bible from years ago- there is really nothing new under the sun as someone once said.
I am terrible at taking notes- but let me share some notes from the keynote speaker- (they may not mean much to you since you did not hear the speaker)- just remember- your actions affect those around you more than it affects you. (I heard a preacher say he was going to preach a sermon called "How much is your sin going to cost me?") Make a list of who all will be affected by your poor choice  before you do it.

*80% of people say they decide to buy a firms good partly on their perception of its ethics.

*I want it and I want it right now, is a danger signal.

*8 steps why smart people do dumb things
1.Entitlement
2.Super Optimistic
3.Affectionate Disconnect
4.Seemingly Unimportant Decisions
5. Rationalization
6.Lazy
7.Victimization
8.Situational Ethics

No comments:

Post a Comment