Sunday, September 13, 2015

A Song For Grandma and Grandpa

Happy Grandparents Day. The first Sunday after Labor Day in Sept. is National Grandparents Day, since 1978. The flower of the U.S. National Grandparents Day is the forget-me-not which blooms in the spring. A Song for Grandma And Grandpa” by Johnny Prill is the official song. I am blessed with six wonderful grandkids. My moms parents were the only real grandparents I knew and were a very positive influence. I did not know my Dads parents as they passed away when I was young. Another "Grandma" who impacted my life was "Grandma Hedahl". She was not my real grandma, but we all called her that because she was so special.  She let my family rent from her on her farm in North Dakota. She let us watch TV at her house, baked cookies,  paid me to mow her lawn, and taught me the value of work and to remember those who had gone on, with trips to the Sawyer Cemetery to water plants. There are other "grandparents" in my life- even today, a special lady in our church who is called the "Skittle lady" by the kids who the kids seek her out (over 90 years young)-she will give me a hug each Sunday! A pastors wife in Tacoma, when I was in the 6th grade,  would give me $1.00 each Sunday I would sit by her, she sat by the front, and I bet I heard so much more from the pastor because of that, as well. I think it is important for our youth to know "grandparents" in their lives who can influence and be role models.  I think we would have less mixed up kids, less gangs,  less killings;  if we could connect our youth with some of these grandparents.  It is sad many youth will not connect; for some it will be too late. It does not have to be your own flesh and blood. I hope my grandkids know many "grandparents" who will impact their lives positively as I have had. I am thankful for the "grandparents" in my life- and the grandparents in my grandchildrens lives.
14 Ways to Leave a Spiritual Legacy to Your Grandchild
How will your grandchildren remember you?     
By Mary May Larmoyeux     
Jack Kemp was a quarterback for the NFL, a congressman, and one-time vice-presidential nominee. Despite his many accomplishments, shortly before he passed away in 2009, he told his son, Jeff, "I want my legacy to be family, and how much God has shown love for us."
When your life is over … when you take your last breath … what will your loved ones say about the way you lived? Will you pass on true riches—a legacy of one who followed Jesus Christ?
Here are 14 ideas for leaving a spiritual legacy to your grandchild:
1. Every month, ask your grandchild how you can pray for him. Jot down one another's prayer requests in a notebook and record the dates and ways that God answers your prayers. Share some of your prayer requests with your grandchild. If you do not live near one another, do this by email, text, or phone.
2. Read and discuss Deuteronomy 32:7: "Remember the days of old; consider the generations long past. Ask your father and he will tell you, your elders, and they will explain to you." Ask your grandchild: Why should we consider past generations? What value is there in remembering the past? Then memorize this verse together (over several days).
3. Read 1 Corinthians 13:5-9 with your grandchild. Look up the stories of biblical characters who exemplified the traits mentioned in these verses.
4. Encourage your grandchild to write a poem about a biblical character who modeled love. Young children could draw a picture. Put these on display on your refrigerator. Or type the poem on your computer with a calligraphy font. Print it, place it in a nice frame, and display it in your home.
5. Take out a Bible and read Ecclesiastes 3:1 with your grandchild, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." Discuss the importance of waiting on God's time, and then present your grandchild with an inexpensive watch.
6. Purchase a Bible for your grandchild and have his name engraved on it. Write a special note inside the cover of the Bible.
7. Go to an estate sale and let your grandchild pick out a special item to remember your day together. In the car discuss Isaiah 40:7 (NLT), "The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever." Compare this verse to the estate sale—when we leave this earth, we leave all of our possessions behind.
8. Write about the day your grandchild was born or adopted. Describe the weather, time, where you were, and your feelings when you saw him for the first time. Include special Bible verses or prayers that you claim for your grandchild.
9. Share your beliefs concerning your faith, explaining why you believe what you do. Then ask your grandchild what he believes and why.
10. Put a blanket on the ground. Lie down on it with your grandchild and look up at the clouds. Tell each other what the clouds look like. For example, are they shaped like a mountain, boat, cotton candy, etc.?
Share Psalm 147:8 with your grandchild: "He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills."
11. Design some special cards with your grandchild that have the following verse: 1 Peter 5:7, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." With your grandchild, send one of these cards to someone who needs encouragement.
12. Ask your grandchild to tell you about her friends. Ask how your grandchild and her friends express Christ's love to one another. Invite your grandchild to bring one of her friends to your home one day for a special meal.
13. Have a hymn night at your home with your grandchild. Together choose traditional hymns and contemporary songs. Ask one another, "What is your favorite song and why?"
14. Look up Proverbs 21:31 with your grandchild: "The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord." Discuss this with him if he's old enough to understand its meaning. How could a horse be ready for battle (i.e., man's effort to defend himself through equipment, etc.) and yet the end result of the battle really rest with the Lord? Then talk with your grandchild about battles in your life/in your grandchild's life. Where is his ultimate strength? Read Deuteronomy 3:22 with your grandchild and discuss it together, "Do not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you."
My mother passed away recently. As our family reminisced about her life, we described her with words like faith, strength, kindness, generosity, prayer, and unconditional love. We talked about her strong belief that the past is gone and tomorrow will be bright.
Like Jack Kemp, she left far more than material possessions to her children and grandchildren. She left a spiritual legacy that I pray will continue for many generations.
Copyright © 2015 Mary May Larmoyeux

How children perceive their Grandparents......
1. She was in the bathroom, putting on her makeup, under the watchful eyes of her young granddaughter, as she'd done many times before. After she applied her lipstick and started to leave, the little one said, "But Grandma, you forgot to kiss the toilet paper good-bye!" I will probably never put lipstick on again without thinking about kissing the toilet paper good-bye....

2. My young grandson called the other day to wish me Happy Birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him, 80. My grandson was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "Did you start at 1?"
3. After putting her grandchildren to bed, a grandmother changed into old slacks and a droopy blouse and proceeded to wash her hair. As she heard the children getting more and more rambunctious, her patience grew thin. Finally, she threw a towel around her head and stormed into their room, putting them back to bed with stern warnings. As she left the room, she heard the three-year-old say with a trembling voice,
"Who was THAT?"
4. A grandmother was telling her little granddaughter what her own childhood was like. "We used to skate outside on a pond. I had a swing made from a tire; it hung from a tree in our front yard. We rode our pony. We picked wild raspberries in the woods."
The little girl was wide-eyed, taking this all in. At last she said, "I sure wish I'd gotten to know you sooner!"
5. My grandson was visiting one day when he asked, "Grandma, do you know how you and God are alike?" I mentally polished my halo and I said, "No, how are we alike?'' "You're both old," he replied.
6. A little girl was diligently pounding away on her grandfather's word processor. She told him she was writing a story.
"What's it about?" he asked.
"I don't know," she replied. "I can't read."
7. I didn't know if my granddaughter had learned her colors yet, so I decided to test her. I would point out something and ask what color it was. She would tell me and was always correct. It was fun for me, so I continued. At last, she headed for the door, saying, "Grandma, I think you should try to figure out some of these colors yourself!"
8. When my grandson Billy and I entered our vacation cabin, we kept the lights off until we were inside to keep from attracting pesky insects. Still, a few fireflies followed us in. Noticing them before I did, Billy whispered, "It's no use Grandpa. Now the mosquitoes are coming after us with flashlights."
9. When my grandson asked me how old I was, I teasingly replied, "I'm not sure." "Look in your underwear, Grandpa," he advised "Mine says I'm 4 to 6."
10.. A second grader came home from school and said to her grandmother, "Grandma, guess what? We learned how to make babies today." The grandmother, more than a little surprised, tried to keep her cool. "That's interesting." she said... "How do you make babies?"
"It's simple," replied the girl. "You just change 'y' to 'i' and add 'es'."
11. Children's Logic: "Give me a sentence about a public servant," said a teacher. The small boy wrote: "The fireman came down the ladder pregnant." The teacher took the lad aside to correct him. "Don't you know what pregnant means?" she asked.
"Sure," said the young boy confidently. 'It means carrying a child."
12. A grandfather was delivering his grandchildren to their home one day when a fire truck zoomed past. Sitting in the front seat of the fire truck was a Dalmatian dog. The children started discussing the dog's duties.
"They use him to keep crowds back," said one child.
"No," said another. "He's just for good luck.. "
A third child brought the argument to a close."They use the dogs," she said firmly, "to find the fire hydrants."
13. A 6-year-old was asked where his grandma lived. "Oh," he said, "she lives at the airport, and when we want her, we just go get her. Then, when we're done having her visit, we take her back to the airport."
14. Grandpa is the smartest man on earth! He teaches me good things, but I don't get to see him enough to get as smart as him!
15. My Grandparents are funny, when they bend over, you hear gas leaks and they blame their dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment