Monday, September 8, 2014

Roll On Columbia

Forty three years ago, about this time of year,  our family moved to Coulee Dam from Fife.  My Dad worked on the 3rd powerhouse as a carpenter/welder. There I finished High School, married my high school sweetheart, bought our first home, and had our first child. Although we moved in 1977 to Spokane, the Columbia River would always play an important part of my life- we lived along the Columbia river in Kennewick and also now in East Wenatchee.  I wish I had a dollar for each time I have crossed the river. (4 times today so far just today) Much of my work follows the river from Canada to Vernita each summer on the striping crew. Going back to the Grand Coulee Area brings back mixed memories- things change in 43 years- sadly the biggest change is perhaps due to 9/11? Many of the roads are now blocked off for security and those security guards take their jobs serioius.  They have moved the house we used to live in somewhere else, the garage we built still stands. The church we attended has closed up, the high school we attended was torn down this summer and a new school opened. (Last summer we attended our 40 year class reunion)  I had to put this video together as a tribute to the mighty Columbia River. I used to hear this song when the radio station would go off the air each night at sundown in Grand Coulee. (KFDR)  Roll On Columbia, Roll On...
My dad kept a diary and I am posting a few entries below- basically we moved to Coulee Dam on Sept 8th and I think I must have started school on Monday the 13th of Sept. (I started late) and remember Janice being in my History Class.

Aug17; To Coulee Dam. Had carpenter welder job-take it. change dues 17.50
Aug 18;started-(till June 29, 1993)- big day yesterday- 2 hrs sleep last night. what a day. climb steps to 180 feet or more to the "pour"
19th-burned pants. leg a bit-only one stinger for two welders-so-
20;getting better at job. back by 9';30pm at house (241 miles)
24th;got a company hard hat and hood combo at last. a hotter day. $47.00 a month for lot with elec included in Coulee Dam.
29th; at elec. city Baptist church. yp in charge.
Sept. 7th; hard short day at job w/lots of welding
8th;Wed-plenty of blowouts on house tire.end of run(???) for this mover at 15 miles from destination. $417.00 trip costs twice!
9; thurs-waiting at camp site-took blocks to Earls Tr. Pk. to get mover from Wenatchee, $88.00 plus 105 for 1 wheel and tire. wow.
10th-moved at 7;15 this morning. a hot day. leveled house, have elect and water (no gas)
12th-to A of G church twice-pretty good.  start here-moved!

No comments:

Post a Comment