Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Dick and Rick Hoyt

I have been blessed to have so many positive role models in my life- many have passed on, and I cannot thank them today. Someone asked Billy Graham recently what he would do differently in his life, his answer, “spend more time with my family, and study more and preach less”. He was one of my heroes. Many of my heroes are men I personally know, christian men, and have watched their lives.  I would like to share a video of a father/son team who have inspired so many people- it’s sad that people like this do not sell newspapers and sad that our children do not see examples like this everyday on the news. They are out there- they just do not make the news. Even sadder is those how choose to abort a child because something could be wrong with them?  Someone said; The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. Our youth are looking for someone to look up to- Don’t blow it- Be Committed. Happy Fathers Day
Did you do something of value today? Written by Dennis Rainey

Just one day can make the difference in a life wasted and one that leaves a legacy that will outlive us all.

Driving home one night after work I switched on the radio to catch the news. In an uncharacteristic moment of sincerity, the disc jockey made a statement that sliced through the fog of fatigue I felt from the day: “I hope you did something of value today. You wasted a whole day if you didn’t.”
His statement struck me abruptly. Maybe it was because I had just spent most of the day solving some of the problems of a growing ministry. Fortunately that day, I felt pretty good about how I had invested my time.
Or perhaps it was because of where I was heading. In 10 minutes I would be home where one lovely lady and six pairs of beady little eyes would want and need my attention.
Would I do something of value with them tonight?
It’s just one night, and besides, I’m exhausted, I thought. Then I pondered how one night added to another, 365 times, adds up to a year. The nights and the years seem to be passing with an increasing velocity.
“I hope you did something of value today. You wasted a whole day if you didn’t.” It echoed in my thoughts as I drove through the darkness.
Five minutes more and I’d be home.
I’ll bet there are other men like me who are really tired right now, I thought. I wondered how they would respond to the question if they heard it.
A moment of pride struck me. I bet I do better than average with my kids, I smugly concluded.
Another thought lingered in my mind: Did God call me to be merely a better-than-average husband and father? Or to be obedient and to excel?
Living above average

To be better than average, all you have to do is beat the masses—a step ahead of the herd, so to speak. Not much challenge there.
But to be obedient and to excel, well, that means I’ve got to be a disciple … deny myself … take up my cross … and obey … even when I’m tired and whipped by the day’s draining events.
Is my audience man or God? Where do I want the applause? Heaven or earth?
One night. What will I accomplish? Will I waste it spending all evening in front of the television?
It’s just one night. Another night to build a legacy. What will my legacy be?
I struggled over the lure of “just” one evening of selfishness—to do my own thing. But what if Barbara had a similar attitude? Then who would carry the baton?
What kind of heritage and legacy would I impart? Selfishness? Or selflessness?
One minute, and I’ll be home.
Just one night, Lord. It’s just one night. And then the same angel that wrestled Jacob to the ground pinned me with a half nelson as I drove into the garage.
Okay, okay. I give. You’ve got me. Being a Christian parent is not always easy in this narcissistic culture.

Just one night
As the kids surrounded my car like a band of banshees whooping and screaming, “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy,” I was glad on this night I had made the right choice.
At supper, rather than just grazing our way through the groceries, we spent a few moments on nostalgia. All of us answered the question: What was the favorite thing we did as a family this past year?
And after supper I gave the kids three choices of what kind of memory they would like to make for that night:
1. Play Monopoly together as a family,
2. Read a good book together quietly, or
3. Wrestle on the living room floor together.
Which do you think they chose?
Three little sumo wrestlers grabbed my legs as they began to drag me into the living room. Dad was pinned by the kids. Mom was tickled by Dad. And kids went flying through the air (literally) for the next hour. Our 10-month-old even got in on the act by bouncing on me after she had observed the other kids in action.
Do my kids remember that night? Maybe, but I doubt it. We didn’t break anything to make it memorable.
Did they know I had struggled in the car? No.
Did I do something of value that night? You bet!
I did my best that night and on the many nights that followed while my kids were growing up to leave, with God’s help, a legacy that counts. A legacy that will outlive me.
If you struggle with priorities as I do, then you might want to commit these verses from Ephesians to memory: “Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is” (5:15-17). I’m convinced none of us intends to become the fool Paul wrote about. It just happens.
“I hope you did something of value today. You wasted a whole day if you didn’t.”
Copyright © by FamilyLife. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment