Friday, May 9, 2014

What I Wouldn't Give

People have believed the marriage statistics for years as facts without questioning it, including myself. the news has become opinions and there is no investigative reporters or facts it seems.  Yesterday I heard on the radio, and today as saw this note on marriages. I don't need to add anything to what she says; just don't be fooled by the media. I won't get into other issues we have been lied to about. I just can bet most of you did not see this story;

Is it possible, reporters are asking, that everything we've been told about marriage and divorce is wrong? Shaunti Feldhahn thinks so. The Harvard-trained researcher spent the last eight years trying to get to the bottom of the data on broken marriages -- and the results might shock you. We've all heard the statistic that half of all marriages end in divorce. Not so fast, says Feldhahn, who lays out the argument in her new book (The Good News about Marriage) that the actual divorce rate isn't even close to that number.
Like most sociologists, Shaunti says she's "stood up on stage and said every one of those wrong statistics." Now, she's on a mission to correct those assumptions. If anything, she points out, the divorce rate is dropping. "First-time marriages: probably 20 to 25% have ended in divorce on average," she explains. "There is no such thing as a 50% divorce rate. It's never been close. Right now," she tells Billy Hallowell of The Blaze, "...72% of people are still married to their first spouse -- that's Census Bureau data."
At the very least, Feldhahn estimates, the divorce rate is 27-50% lower than people think. "Starting in the 1970s -- that's when those projections started -- when no fault divorce started, the divorce rate skyrocketed. Suddenly, there was this explosion in divorce... it has fallen according to the crude divorce rate... 32% since 1980."
What's more, she says the comparisons between the church and general society are an absolute myth. "The divorce rate dropped by 27% between those who went to church last week." One of Shaunti's favorite things is shocking people with the news that 80% of marriages are happy. "The sense of futility itself pulls down marriages. And the problem is we have this culture-wide feeling of futility about marriage. It's based on all these discouraging beliefs and many of them just aren't true." I don't know about you, but I could use some good news on our culture -- and the Good News about Marriage is exactly that.
I had to share that good news with you- yet you may wonder how it relates to todays video by Steve and Annie Chapman called "What I wouldn't give"? I am not a hunter but I sure understand Proverbs 7 and guarding our thoughts and how the Devil blinds us. I know far too many who have walked away from marriages. Some have given up just because they feel it will not work or have given up. I cannot promise you things will ever be the same or how to turn things around for you- But I do know God cares, hears, and answers prayers. Don't play with fire and loose all you have going for you- Guard your Thoughts.  
A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

One advantage of marriage is that, when you fall out of love with him or he falls out of love with you, it keeps you together until you fall in again

A lady wrote to an advice column in a newspaper: 'I have been engaged to a man for some time, but just before the wedding, I find he has a wooden leg. Do you think I should break it off?

No comments:

Post a Comment