Saturday, April 5, 2014

This Old House by Signature Sound

April 5th, 2008,  Jan, Darcie and Caitlyn had left to go shopping in Cashmere. I was in back bedroom with Cody and Emilee, reading books, playing games and playing on computer for a quiet time. At around 1;15 pm, when someone knocked on our door. As I answered it, some boys asked me, “Mr., Do you know your house is on fire??” I quickly grabbed the kids and helped them out the front door, yelled “call 911”, and asked a lady to watch Cody/Emilee while I ran back in to try to grab the computer. I quickly dropped that idea as I heard the fire roar and smoke was developing-I ran back out and grabbed the garden hose only to find it would not reach the back of the house where the fire was. I think the fire chief showed up next and while we waited for fire trucks, I called Jan on cell phone and told her she better come home as our house was on fire. (We later learned the fire probably started under rear porch from a defective extension cord or a battery charger for a kids electric cart.)  Everything happened so fast.  People were so caring, so helpful and we felt God upholding us. It’s so much easier to look back! Thanks to those four boys who cared to knock on the door to let us know! Thanks for Pemco Insurance and France AND Company who treated us so fairly- I highly recommend both. Thanks to those who prayed and gave us so much help/encouragement. (A couple who went through a fire has us over for dinner/our church gave us a shower.) Thanks to  Darcie/Eric for letting us stay in their trailer as our  house was rebuilt- it was not only close by, but having the grandkids there helped us and maybe even the grandkids.  We moved back in 6 months from the date of the fire! We were allowed to do some of the repairs to help pay for any changes we requested. We have so much to be thankful for- I sometimes feel like Job in the Bible. I do not know how people without God handle issues like this in their lives? Yes, we still will occasionally wonder about something we used to own- and I think we have downsized by choice. I can honestly say people mean so much more than things. As in this song/video by Ernie Hause and Signature Sound,  I am reminded this is not my home, We just live here for awhile,…. making memories,…. Our real home lies on the other side, I am just passing thru, …Heaven is so much more.


 Front Door after the fire


The Bedroom where Kids and I were having a quiet time..

The Back Porch
Fire started below porch from ether extension cord or battery charger for go kart in center

No comments:

Post a Comment