Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Still The One

This is my 5th video I made under the Douglas County Commissioner race- they are posted on youtube.com. Take A Chance on Me is the most popular one on youtube.com.

I remain committed to pushing for more 4 lanes in Douglas County, by wsdot- I hope you will contact those serving on Wenatchee Valley Transportation Council to make that a priority again, since they greatly influence DOT and where the money goes to. I know DOT will look at public comments on the roundabouts- you need to contact them as well- 667-3000.  I entered the race thinking we were more concerned about roundabouts and bike lanes than we were 4 lanes and no goals to handling increased traffic. I am not against roundabouts- but we need to provide where funds could come from for our ideas as well. It is not a matter of shortage of funds, it is a matter of priorities. I hope those pushing for a state tourism board will share where the money will come from- East Wenatchee already charges an extra 6% tax for those using our motels and my recent booking of a Spokane motel room for one night had almost 30.00 in taxes on a 149.00 bill. And I remain concerned that our landfill is filling up faster than projected with importation of garbage- that is about the only tax I would support without a vote f the people- we already tax cigarettes higher than normal, as do we motels, and the city also taxes cell phones and electricity higher than normal-so why not a tax on importation of garbage? I support Commissioner Jenkins concern over Marijuana issues in Bridgeport, and the lack of state to either share revenue, police their laws, or honor our local laws. I have seen too many accidents caused by impairment, and I need not remind you it is not legal at federal level, and actually it never had a majority of passage votes in Douglas County. I realize most candidates will dance around this issue- and my honesty could cost me some votes.

I have had fun doing this and take this very seriously. I use jokes from my Political Humor Book to post under comments to keep this from getting too serious, to make a point occasionally, and to bring that post up again for those who missed it.

I promised to live within the budget given me if elected, and am trying to do the same with my campaign budget. I strongly believe in openness and communication- in the past I would answer to "how are things in City," to;  "as for what I know, they are going good, it is the things I do not know that worry me......" One person asked if I supported growth at North End- of coarse I do- but I have mixed feelings about county buying up property and putting in roundabouts with taxpayers paying for development costs- we need to let business do that, and the laws all be equally and fairly applied to all. Realtors are paid to work with other property owners if needed. One person accused commissioners lying, and of not giving her special grandfathered in treatment of a law passed- If you are against a law, don't fight only for yourself- change the law for all. I hope we can all treat each other how we would want to be treated- even after this race is over.  And lastly, thanks for keeping this positive and  a fun race with no name calling or insults. I hope we have the largest voter turnout in Douglas county in November- sadly only 37% turnout in Douglas County for Presidential primary last month. I see many opportunities and look forward to working with the other two commissioners. I think my past experience in transportation and government can provide some balance.
Here is an article from 13 years ago- I challenge other candidates to show where they stood on issues in past and how they will vote on tax increases once elected. (Some were pushing for sales tax increase and some think the sales tax should be lowered to bring in business and now that the arena issue is basically over) I think the biggest gripe I hear is how politicians change when elected. Find out where your candidate stands on 4 lanes Douglas County, who will pay for a state tourism board, how effective is the port districts per its budget, how they will handle importation of garbage to landfill from west side, and reporting of county asset land to state. And I sure welcome answers on how to stop overburdening permitting that is shutting down business. Sadly, many of those permits are at federal and state levels- I can only deal with county levels.
I hope no one is offended of the political jokes I post on facebook- This is an old article about the 7 joke books I used to produce. I have a few left that are used to finance my campaign; as I hate to beg for money and I do not want to be bought by any group/persons.
Earlier in article I mentioned openness and honesty and how sometimes I am last to know- here is how I handled an issue years ago per the eyes of a reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment