Friday, March 28, 2014

On The Road Again(2010)

Yesterday was my last day of maintenance and next week I report to Striping Crew. I have worked in WSDOT Maintenance for 10 years and for 22 winters now. For the last 11 years I have worked in Striping from April to November. We stripe state hiways from Canadian Border to below Othello and from other side of Stevens and North Cross passes to the county line past Moses Lake. I am part of a great crew that gets along real well, works hard,  and safety is a big concern for all. We see some pretty country. My job is to make sure the no pass areas are correct per the log book, and if the lines are not visible, to put down spots for truck to follow as center for lines.  Some roads require an additional warning vehicle for safety, and then I am part of train keeping vehicles off lines and warning vehicles, for safety. If someone is on vacation or gone, I can fill in if I am caught up on my spotting for that day. Several years ago a reporter rode with us for a news story-(actually it was 9 or 10 years ago- where does time go?)  I did not think she would quote me on everything I said- "such as every day is a vacation for us".  It is uncertain who will be our striper driver this year since Pat Medrano accepted a lead tech position on Stevens Pass. It is also uncertain of my future and involvement with Striping crew as well since I have applied for a position in Equipment that would be year around. It could  be a big change,  I have not heard anything yet. The good news is it is Gods hands and I look forward to whatever the future holds for me. I am thankful for my job and thankful for those praying for Gods direction and will be done in this matter.


Here is an old photo from 2001 probably- I replaced the one on far right (Eric Brain) who now works in Yakima for WSDOT Radio. Only two in the photo are still on this years crew, (Al, the second one, and Alana, the 4th one) and the one in rear passed away last summer.  And yes, that truck has been surplused and replaced as well several years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment