Tuesday, November 1, 2016

All Saints Day


Happy All Saints Day.  All Saints' Day goes back to the fourth century when the Greek Christians kept a festival on the first Sunday after Pentecost (in late May or early June) in honor of all martyrs and saints. Other sources say that a commemoration of “All Martyrs” began to be celebrated as early as 270 CE, but no specific month or date is recorded. Pope Gregory IV made All Saints' Day an authorized holiday in 837 CE. It is speculated that the chosen date for the event, November 1, may have been an attempt to supplant pagan festivals that occurred around the same time. Whether you celebrate it or not- I  want to pay honor to those who have died for their faith, and for those who influenced my life by the way they finished their run here on earth. I can name many who have impacted my life- and many I have not met yet- but look forward to that reunion day in Heaven.
Mrs. Thomas's 'OWL'standing 5th Grade: 3.5.15 DAY ONE HUNDRED AND...
We started attending Wenatchee First Assembly the Sunday night after Christmas, in 1987. Pastor Jerry Beebe, Larry Henke, and Bill Hartman stand out as welcoming us, but actually so many welcomed us, and many have been patient and forgiving with me over the years.  Many I cannot thank today, as they have gone home- I miss them so much.  Others have moved away.  I made this video probably 10 years ago- it may be outdated music to many, but is one of my first videos on youtube.com. I added a few photos to the music of Gaither Vocal Band Called "Home", to honor so many who have gone "Home" already.  Most have gone home since making this video, I look forward to Home and so many of my friends who I miss.  I owe so much to ones who paved the way for me, who helped build our church, taught my children, and many; who set an example on how to live and die. They say you never get over loosing a loved one- perhaps this song will remind you the day when the graves will give up their dead and we will meet Jesus in the Air, and we will at last be "Home". I still believe he could come at any time, like a thief in the night.

When we die we leave behind us all we have, and take with us all we are

I am standing on the seashore. A ship spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and; starts for the ocean. I stand watching her until he fades on the horizon, and; someone at my side says, "he is gone." Gone where? The loss of sight is in me, not in him. Just at the moment when someone says, "he is gone," there are others who are watching him coming. Other voices take up the glad shout, "Here he comes," and; that is dying.--Henry Scott Holland


Realizing that he would soon be gone from this world one day, Moody said to a friend, "Someday you will read in the papers that D.L. Moody of Northfield is dead. Don't you believe a word of it. "At that moment I shall be more alive than I am now. I shall have gone higher, that is all--out of this old clay tenement into a house that is immortal, a body that sin cannot touch, that sin cannot taint, a body fashioned like His glorious body. I was born in the flesh in 1837; I was born of the Spirit in 1856. That which is born of the flesh may die; that which is born of the Spirit will live forever

When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.




No comments:

Post a Comment