Monday, August 1, 2016

If We Never Meet Again

I regret I am unable to attend Arnie Becks Funeral Tomorrow- I also regret that I did not make time to visit with him while I could- But I do believe I will see him on the other side. Arnie was a Christian. I first met Arnie when we moved to Sawyer, North Dakota on the Hedahl Farm. His parents and he were our neighbors. He would find jobs for me to do- probably to keep me out of his hair- I would tag along in summers whether it be standing next to him on the combine, pulling weeds by hand,  riding skids while they stacked bales, mowing the lawn, counting cattle, or just riding into town. I was able to watch his life. He accepted me and made me feel important. He challenged me. I learned to drive pickup from him,  and he let me drive tractors, I saw how he took care of his cars and equipment, (he kept them looking new and shiney)- I just finished 5th grade when we moved away to Tacoma, Wa- but for several summers he let me come back and work on the farm. As we aged, I loved to stop and visit him- sadly it has been 8 or 9 years since I made it  back there. We never know what an impact we can make on our neighbors lives- I hope he knew what he and his parents had on mine. It is hard getting old- not the aches and pains, but the tears in loosing loved ones who influenced our life. My mother taught us the importance of choosing good friends- perhaps he chose me- I don't know, but he was like a father to me and I look forward to seeing him on the other side. Thanks Arnie for all you did for this kid.
This is where Arnie will be buried tomorrow- next to his folks I am sure. I would help his dad mow this cemetery. This was me on perhaps my last visit to North Dakota.
I started 1st grade in Sawyer- this was me by my parents cars on the Hedahl Farm, which I mowed too. We called her Grandma Hedahl because of how special she was to us, as well. My parents did not have a tv, so I would watch tv at her house or at Becks.
This is from my photo album.(I actually carried it in my wallet photos as you can see be creases) I actually knew Arnie before he was married. Top Right is his family from Christmas a few years ago- we always would share Christmas letters. Bottom right is the farm as I knew it- later this house would be moved and they built a new on in its place. The farm was known for its red roofs and white buildings.
This was the photo from his obituary- Its going to be interesting in Heaven what our loved ones will look like- I know we will recognize them- just not sure what age. I was telling my SS class that  once- that we would recognize our loved ones, and implying maybe babies could be grown up?  One 4th or 5th grade kid raised his hand and asked "what about the ones who had sex changes"-- he stumped me on that one, and I told him to ask Pastor Jerry as I did not have an answer. (and I quit teaching a few years later)


Arnold Beck  
Arnold David Beck, 84, Minot and longtime Sawyer area farmer and rancher died on Thursday in a Minot hospital.
Arnold was born on August 14, 1931 on the family farm near Sawyer to David and Louisa (Heizelman) Beck. He was raised on the farm and attended school in Sawyer.  As a young adult he assisted his father with the operation of the family farm which was in Sawyer Township of Ward County 6.5 miles southwest of Sawyer.
Arnold assumed ownership of the farm/ranch in 1965 and resided 3.5 miles southwest of Sawyer on Beck’s Polled Hereford Farm. He raised small grains and Registered Polled Hereford Cattle since 1958.  Also, he was employed by Don Bessette Motors driving cars throughout the U.S.  He retired in 1991 and moved to Minot.
Arnold was a member, usher and volunteer of First Assembly of God and member and director for six years of the ND Polled Hereford Association.  He was a former member of the ND Stockmen’s Association, NRA, and former member and trustee of the Mennonite Brethren Church - Sawyer.  He especially enjoyed collecting cars, toys and wildlife items; watching basketball and playing basketball with his sons as well as trapping for 50+ years, bowling for 20+ years, ice fishing and hunting.  Arnold always had two new Chevy cars  (one to drive and one to polish).  Also, he was avid collector of John Deere and Chevy die casts and guns.
Arnold is survived by his sons: Bruce Beck of Mandan and Bryce (Terri) Beck and Bryant (Megan) Beck all of Minot; grandchildren:  Sydney, Skylar, Skotti, Shawnteya and Alexia Beck and Kesha Haugan (Blake Prado); great grandchild: Jetleigh Prado; sister: Luella Barke of Minot and several nieces, nephews and cousins.
Arnold was preceded in death by his parents and brother-in-law:  Howard Barke.
Celebration of the Life of Arnold Beck:  Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 11:00 a.m. in First Assembly of God - Minot.
Graveside Service:  Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. in the Mennonite Brethren Cemetery - rural Sawyer.
Visitation:  Monday from 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. in Thomas Family Funeral Home - Minot.
Memorials are preferred to First Assembly of God or the Bible Fellowship Church for the Mennonite Brethren Cemetery - rural Sawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment