Thursday, March 26, 2015

I Will Meet You In The Morning

Dick Rice passed away on this date in 2014. I have lots of friends but Dick was perhaps my best friend. I first met him when he loaned mowers to the church and I used them back in late 80's as a volunteer at church. In fact one mower broke, and he came to fix it- never blamed me- just said it was the wrong tractor for that mower. We would transport that equipment between his house and the church, and we quickly discovered how much we had in common, and our friendship grew. We used to change light bulbs at the church, and he taught me how to change burned out ballasts. We would grade the church gravel parking lot. I would bounce ideas off regarding city council as he was a precinct chairmen and knew the area, history, and people better than I- but most of all, I could trust him and his wisdom. We served on church board together, attended the super oval races together, and would meet Friday mornings for breakfast together with other men; at first Jimmys and later the bowling alley. Saturday evening we met for dinner with our families-usually men sat at one end of table and women at the other. I could stop in anytime to visit, which I did so often- and "vent"- something men need to do. We worked on cars together, his snowplow and garden tractor, and we were members of The Antique Auto club together. We even took a cruise to Alaska together with some couples from our church a few years ago. He is only person who ever rode in my work snowplow with me one night who was not a employee. God has spared his life many times before, and I am so thankful for those extra years God gave him. He taught me so much about life by his example. He knew the importance of church and was committed even when we may have had minor disagreements or changes. He loved Jesus so much, it showed by the way he lived his life and often shared how Pastor White mentored him as a new Christian years ago. He loved his wife and family so much by his actions. He actually mentored me by the way he lived and his actions. Today is not easy- I know he is in Heaven and I will see him again.
Dick Rice was not just my friend, I saw how he treated others and I think he knew almost everyone in town it seemed. I saw how he reached out to help others so often. I hope you can experience a friend like he was to me in your lifetime- that is my wish for my grandkids as well. As people grow up, we realize it becomes less important to have more friends, and more important to have real ones. A friend is someone who can see the truth and pain in you even when you are fooling everyone else. They will let you vent but keep you accountable. I am so blessed, and so much better, because of Dick Rice. My mother taught me early on the importance of choosing good friends. Thank You Dick Rice for listening, encouraging, holding me accountable, and keeping me balanced in my life. Our friendship did not end today, in fact it grows stronger and someday soon, I can say as a songwriter wrote long ago, "I will meet you in the morning"......
A true friend...
-Accepts you as you are
-believes in you
-calls you only to say "hello"
-doesn't give up with you
-admires all sides of your personality
-forgives your mistakes
-helps you
-encourages you to try it again
-makes a difference in your life
-says nice things about you
-offers his/her support
-understands you
-tells you the truth
-never judges you
-explains things you don't understand
-walks by your side
-calms down your fears
-shouts if necessary, if you don't want to listen
-raises you spirit.

It’s hard to think that someday the two of us may not be
When those thoughts go through my mind, I stop and realize
All the things we have done and how you opened up my eyes
When I feel like I’m alone, you’re the first person that I call
The only one who knows how to fix everything and all
You came into my life and I knew it from the start
No matter what may happen, you would always be in my heart
I know that I can go to you with anything I need
You’ll help me through my toughest times telling me I will succeed
You have the two best shoulders for me to lean and cry on
Wiping away all of my tears until they are gone
You know all of my wishes and you know my dreams
Reminding me they’re not as far away as they may seem
You are loyal, kind, and caring, and I know that this is true
My world wouldn’t be as bright if I knew there were no you
If ever you need a friend to tell everything and all
I’m just a few numbers away, so don’t be afraid to call
If there were one thing to want from life, this is what it would be
To be as good a friend to you as you have been to me
I hope I made you smile when you were about to cry
I hope I comforted you when you wanted to just die
Our smiles and our laughter, our tears and all our sorrow
They mean just as much as knowing that we still have tomorrow
It is a gift knowing someone is gonna by your side
With this person, you will never have to hide
Looking at you makes me realize you’re more than a friend,
And that you will be there with me until the very end
To you I want to say thanks for touching my life and leaving your mark
With you I know I will shine, even when in the dark
You are always there to help me, guiding me through the bends
That is why you will forever be my true best friend
Finding a friend like you is like finding a pot of gold
Something that can never be bought, something that can never be sold

Richard “Dick” Rice, 75, of East Wenatchee, died Wednesday, March 26, 2014.
He was a longtime resident of East Wenatchee and worked as refrigeration and maintenance supervisor for Cascadian Fruit Shippers, retiring after 43 years.
Survivors include his wife, Rosemary Rice of East Wenatchee; his children, Steve Rice, Rob Rice and Rosemary Lynne Rice, all of East Wenatchee, and Ron Rice of Mountlake Terrace; and his sister, Nancy Hanan of Enumclaw.
A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at Wenatchee First Assembly of God, 1520 McKittrick St., Wenatchee. Concluding services and interment will follow at Evergreen Memorial Park. Visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Telford’s Chapel of the Valley in East Wenatchee.
Arrangements are by Telford’s Chapel of the Valley, East Wenatchee.

No comments:

Post a Comment